There is not a day that goes by without me hearing that its the almost the end of the world. Now don’t get me wrong, I think that the world will probably end and all that fun stuff… yet, its peoples reasoning that perplexes me. The number one reason older people say that it’s the end of the world, is because our generation is “so much worse” than any other in the history of the world. They proudly say the Pagans and atheists of their day were better than Christians today are. They gladly point to the 50% divorce rate, prevalence of pornography, homosexuality, drugs, gangs, Obama and so forth.
The closing argument always is: secular culture has progressively grown more depraved and perverted; as if manhood underwent a change going from non-believing (yet moral) husbands to corrupt, greedy, homosexual, drug addicts, serial killers, and sex offenders.
There was a time when I would actually feel guilty listening to it. I would think that its somehow my fault, my elders kept satan at bay, but I and my peers failed and as a result he is winning. I thought if only I preached harder, was “the light” brighter, or started the fire of the Holy Spirit as I ought, then maybe we could restore society to its former goodness.
The truth is that the perversions of this generation are not the fruits of my failure as a Christian (wheh) they are the result of depraved humanity being separated from the Christ, the sole provider of any goodness. Mankind without Christ has been, is, and will continue to be utterly wicked!
I just want to offer a few small pieces of evidence that may shock or confuse you. All I want to say is that humanity is wicked beyond words and it always was. Our generation is not worse.
I will not go back to the crimes of the Canaanites, Roman Empire or the Dark Ages, lets merely look at the history of the older generation that is still alive today and claims they lived in less “sinful” times.
The following is not for the faint hearted, reader discretion is advised.
Murder, Death, War
Every few days a murder is featured on TV, and fearful women all over start to create panic because “its not safe anymore.” Do they realize how indescribably fearsome and deadly it was in their or their parents childhood? Click here to see graph and sources.
- 15,000,000 is the death toll during World War I. Of that only 8,500,000 were soldiers. That means the rest were innocent women and children! (1914-1918)
- 9,000,000 people died during the Russian Civil War, about half was because of famine brought by the war, yet there was still a huge amount of soldiers and civilians killed (estimates are that 500,000 -1,000,000 civilians were murdered.) (1917-1922)
- 55,000,000 people were brutally shot, knifed, chopped, cut, hacked, starved, & blown up during World War II. According to historian B. Urlanis, 22 million soldiers killed one another, 1.5 million civilians were killed by bombing, the rest were civilians, killed barbarously. (1939-1945)
- An example of Japanese soldier brutality: Armies had contests to see which soldier could kill the most innocent civilians in a rush through town. They raced around and hacked people to death, counting. They invaded the homes of Chinese civilians and forced them, at bayonet point, to commit sexual atrocities on each other, forcing Chinese males (grandparents, fathers, sons) to rape their own family members (granddaughters, daughters, mothers). They entered the homes of Chinese civilians and threw babies in the air, only to catch them on the points of their bayonets, in full view of their family.
- 40,000,000 men, women, & children were indiscriminately murdered by Mao Zedong. Chinese citizen soldiers who publically and officially support the prohibition of pornography , homosexuality, & drugs actually carried out these barbarous executions. Throughout this whole time porn and drugs were officially illegal in China (though behind closed doors prostitution is and was popular.) (1949-1976)
- 20,000,000 men, women, and children were viciously tortured and killed under the regime of Joseph Stalin. Soviets who officially frowned upon divorce, porn, drugs, & homosexuality were mass murdering people behind the scenes.
Ive left out some 50 million more violent deaths because they are numerous smaller massacres, but basically millions and millions more people were murdered 50+ years ago than they have been recently, including all of our recent atrocities such as the hundred thousand dead in Danfur and etc.
FACT: It was unspeakably horrific to live 50-80 years ago, people were far different from the Ned Flanders ideas you have conjured up.
Sex, Rape, Homosexuality
We are often told that before then 80’s and 90’s everybody was happily married and never committed infidelity, that humanity was basically good, but now the internet and hollywood created sexually degenerate beings. I think the bible is clear it is not hollywood that produces sin but a mans heart.
For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.” Mark 7:21
Statistics on this are incredibly hard to find but the question remain are we worse than our former generation(s)? Many seem to think so, therefore, let us look at the innocent days of our parents.
I’ll start off by saying homosexual behavior always was and will be sin, irregardless of its origin. That said, Nazi Germany sent somewhere between 10,000-15,000 (by other estimates 60,000) homosexuals to concentration camps, meaning they did not appear in the 80’s and 90’s but have been around for quite some time. The first gay movie, titled Anders als die Andern, was made in 1919. (Nothing new, ancient history is filled with homosexuality as it is with every other kind of perversion.)
Rome was filled with all sorts of sexual depravity and perversions far before the 20th century began and in fact, just about all ancient cultures were (think Sodom and Gomorrah, it was the norm, not the exception.)
And what about all the sex offenders alive today? Does it prove anything? No.
Every war is filled with despicable acts, the foremost of which is rape. The Russian army alone repeatedly raped, many to death, at least 2,000,000 girls and women in Germany during the last phase of WWII. They also raped many more girls/women while still in the Soviet Union.
The Japanese army was known for tying females, aged 5-95, to posts in the street, naked and gang raping them to death, leaving their bodies in the street.
Time magazine of Dec 17, 1945 reported that the American Army (the most moral group of soldiers in WWII) was given 50 million condoms every month, and folks, they didnt have their wives with them. Of course there were many good soldiers that were never involved in any prostitution and rape, but cmon, 50 million condoms… a month?
Then of course we have the sexual revolution, which did not happen in the 90’s as we may have heard, but instead in the 60’s, before any of us were alive.
Pornography was not invented 20 years ago, forms of it have been around since civilization. In fact it was quite popular in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. It has been said that the first nude photo was shot a month after the invention of the camera, however, the source that has that information has links of questionable character so I would rather not link that. True or not, there is plenty of other evidence that photography’s early days were equally perverse. By 1855 pornography had already become a thriving underground business.
We can see human depravity as far back as video has been around, for example film had barely been invented until in 1896 a movie titled Le Coucher de la Marie showed the first striptease. The first kiss on film was also filmed in the same year, although it caused an outroar in public, behind closed doors pornographic writing such as that by Marquis de Sade (1740-1819) and other Victorian and more contemporary authors was popularity at the time.
FACT: Sexual atrocities and perversions have existed a long time. Please see the Old Testament for details. We need not claim promiscuous sexuality is new to this generation to recognize it as sin.
No, we did not invent drugs in the 21st century. Opium has been used for recreation purposes by the Sumerians as early as 5000BC though it gained more popularity in the 13th century by Islamists finally culminating in the famous Opium Wars of the mid 1800’s, a series of two wars in which, guess what? Whole countries fought over….. Drugs!
There is also that one incident where Noah got drunk coming upon coming our of the Ark, as well as other numerous references to alcohol in the Old Testament, meaning alcohol has been around for quite some time.
FACT: Humans have abused drugs and alcohol for quite some time. It does not make drugs or drunkenness any less harmful, but its something that has been with us far longer that most of us realize.
The moral of the story
No generation is better than another, all men are depraved sinners and the world is not coming to an end because people are “worse” today than ever before. In fact, in the western world, even though we see the advent of secularism, we are also seeing a great deal less killing, raping, pillaging, and etc.